The County of Accomack Code Section 22-85 requires businesses operating in Accomack County to obtain a business license.
Every person shall apply annually for a license for each business or profession when engaging in a business or profession in the county if:
- The person has a definite place of business in the county;
- There is no definite place of business anywhere and the person resides in the county; or
- There is no definite place of business in the county but the person operates amusement machines or is classified as an itinerant merchant, peddler, contractor subject to Code of Virginia (1950), § 58.1-3715, as amended, operates a carnival or circus or is a public service corporation.
A separate license shall be required for each definite place of business and for each business.
No business license shall be issued until the applicant has produced satisfactory evidence that all delinquent business license fees, personal property, meals, transient occupancy, severance and admissions (if applicable) taxes owed by the business to the county have been paid.
- Business License Application
- Online Contractor Certification Form (Form 61A)
- Business License Frequently Asked Questions
- Return of Tangible Business Property Form
Businesses subject to a license fee shall apply for said license prior to beginning business, or no later than March 1 of the license year if he had been issued a license for the preceding year. The application shall be on forms prescribed by the Commissioner of the Revenue.
The fee for the issuance of a business license shall be $50.00 each year. The County does not levy an additional tax on gross receipts as does most other localities in Virginia.
A penalty of ten percent of the fee may be imposed upon the failure to file an application or the failure to pay the tax by the appropriate date.
For further information, contact the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office at (757) 787-5747 or (757) 824-6451.