Building permits are required when:
- Constructing, enlarging, altering, or demolishing a structure.
- Changing the use of a structure either within the same use group or to a different use
group when the new use requires greater degrees of structural strength, fire protection, exit
facilities, ventilation, or sanitary provisions.
- Installing or altering any equipment which is regulated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building
- Removing or disturbing any asbestos or lead containing materials during demolition, alteration,
renovation of or additions to structures.
- Moving a lot line which affects an existing structure’s continued compliance with the building regulations under which it was built.
- Installation of wiring and equipment which operates at less than 50 volts, except when the
installation is located in a noncombustible plenum or penetrates a fire-resistance rated assembly.
- Detached accessory structures not exceeding 200 square feet of building area, except when
accessory to Use Group F or H structures.
- Tents and air-supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet or less, including all
connecting areas or spaces with a common means of egress or entrance and with an occupant load of 50 or less persons.
- Work which the code official has authorized pending receipt of an application.
- Ordinary repairs which include, but are not be limited to, the following: Replacement of
mechanical or plumbing equipment and appliances, except those fueled by gas or oil, within the
dwelling unit in occupancies of Use Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in
occupancies of Use Groups R-3 and R-4.
- Replacement of roof coverings and installation or replacement of side on Use Group R-4
structures, where such structures are located in localities where the basic wind speed is 80 miles
per hour or less, determined in accordance with Figure 301.24, Basic Wind Speed Map in the
2009 VRC One and Two-Family Dwelling Code.
- Installation of cabinets in all occupancies.
- Replacement of floor coverings and porch flooring within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Use
Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Use Groups R-3 and R
- Painting any portion of a structure, repair of plaster, interior tile and other wall coverings in all
- Replacement of windows and doors and electrical switches, outlets, light fixtures and ceiling fans,
within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Use Group R-2s which are four stories or less in height
and in occupancies of Use Groups R-3 and R-4.
- Ordinary repairs shall not include:
- the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof
- the removal or cutting of any structural beam or loadbearing support
- the removal or change of any required means of egress or the rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements
- nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any:
- water supply
- drainage drain leader
- gas or oil, soil, waste, vent or similar piping
- electric wiring, or
- mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety