Building permits are required when:
- Constructing, enlarging, altering, or demolishing a structure.
- Changing the use of a structure either within the same use group or to a different use
group when the new use requires greater degrees of structural strength, fire protection, exit
facilities, ventilation, or sanitary provisions.
- Installing or altering any equipment which is regulated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building
- Removing or disturbing any asbestos or lead containing materials during demolition, alteration,
renovation of or additions to structures.
- Moving a lot line which affects an existing structure’s continued compliance with the building regulations under which it was built.