In general, after a ditch system has been cleaned out one time with an excavator, it will be re-inspected every few years to determine what condition it is in. When the County discovers that debris is starting to accumulate or brush is starting to grow back, the Ditch Maintenance Division will schedule brush clearing maintenance, hopefully avoiding having to use excavation equipment for many years. The County will coordinate return to your ditch segment, as follows:
- 30-day advance written notice of plans to walk the ditch system on your property
- 7 day phone notice prior to scheduled date of inspection
- In-person contact (for property residents) on the day of the inspection
- 30-day advance written notice of plans to maintain the ditch system & request for any scheduling needs or concerns you have
- 14 day advance phone notice to verify date of arrival on site
- 1 to 3 days in-person contact (for property residents) before staging equipment
This work will follow the same notification process as brush clearing.
In the case of an emergency situation, the County will contact you and also try to visit you at your residence, if you reside locally, to let you know what has to be done to re-establish drainage. This is the only situation where the County may need to access your property expeditiously.
Please note that the County is sensitive to your plans and needs, including situations such as hunting seasons, crop seasons, any planned construction activities, and other needs for the use of the property. County staff will work out equipment staging areas, and include other concerns before planning the work and arriving on site.