Some projects may not be eligible for the County program, due to one of the following situations:
- Project only affecting one or two properties: These projects are deemed to be localized drainage problems and are the responsibility of the individual property owners.
- Project influenced by tidal waters: No work by the County is performed in tidal waters.
- Jurisdiction of a State or Federal agency: Work needs to be performed by the agency responsible for the area of the blockage. Typically this involves culverts or ditches within the State right-of-way. In this case, the County notifies the proper agency and turn the project over to them. Citizens have the option of contacting VDOT directly at 1-800-367-7623.
The County may have initially determined that your potential project was eligible for further investigation, but it may have been placed on hold due to one of the following reasons:
- Permission to walk the project was not given: One or more property owners along the ditch will not give permission for us to enter the property for evaluation.
- Easement not given: One or more property owners along the ditch will not consent to an easement to perform the maintenance work required to restore positive drainage.