Starting Friday, March 20, 2020 County facilities are closed to the general public, with the exception of Landfill, Transfer Station and Convenience Centers. Additional information can be found here.

Erosion and Sediment Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
A Land Disturbing Permit is required for any land disturbance of: 
  • Any project within a subdivision
  • Any new home site in the Chesapeake/Atlantic Preservation Area Resource Management Area (RMA) needs an E&S Agreement (home + driveway + septic + well)
  • Over 2,500 square feet on the bayside of the Chesapeake/Atlantic Preservation Area Resource Management Area (RMA) 
  • Over 3,500 square feet on the seaside of the Chesapeake/Atlantic Preservation Area Resource Management Area (RMA)
  • Any project which encroaches into the Chesapeake Bay Resource Protection Area (RPA)100-foot waterfront buffer needs an E&S Agreement or Administrative Exemption.

Except for the following exemptions:

  • Minor land-disturbing activities and individual home landscaping, repairs and maintenance work
  • Individual service connections
  • Installation, maintenance or repair of underground public utility lines when such activity is confined to an existing hard surfaced road, street or sidewalk
  • Septic tank lines or drainage fields unless included in an overall plan for land-disturbing activity relating to construction of the building to be served by the septic tank system 
  • Surface or deep mining 
  • Exploration or drilling for oil and gas including the well site, roads, feeder lines and off-site disposal areas 
  • Tilling, planting or harvesting of agricultural, horticultural or forest crops, or livestock feedlot operations; including a specific list of engineering operations 
  • Repair or rebuilding of the tracks, right-of-way, bridges, communication facilities and other related structures, and facilities of a railroad company 
  • Agricultural engineering operations including but not limited to the construction of terraces, terrace outlets, check dams, desilting basins, dikes, ponds not required to comply with the provisions of the Virginia Dam Safety Act, ditches, strip-cropping, lister furrowing, contour cultivating, contour furrowing, land drainage and land irrigation. Farm buildings are not exempt 
  • Installation of fence, sign, telephone, electric, or other kinds of posts or poles 
  • Shore erosion control projects on tidal waters when the projects are approved by local wetlands boards, the Marine Resources Commission or the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers
  • Emergency work to protect life, limb or property, and emergency repairs
If you are not sure if a Land Disturbing Permit is required for your proposed project, please contact the Planning Department. 

Small projects and single family residential home development may be permitted with an "Agreement in Lieu of a Plan" rather than requiring a full Erosion and Sediment Control Plan.

Please follow the guidelines below for submitting your plan:

Check with the local program administrator for permitting requirements:

Department of Planning and Community Development
P.O. Box 686
Accomac, VA 23301 
(757) 787-5728
(757) 824-5324


  1. You can apply for a permit on line through the Access Online Portal HERE.   Or download and submit an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Review Application Form.
  2. Submit an erosion and sediment control plan, consisting of a narrative and site plan, prepared in accordance with The Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook
  3. Please call (757) 787-5728 for fee amount.
  4. Make checks payable to Treasurer of Accomack County.
Your plan will be reviewed and evaluated. If changes are required, you will be notified and advised of them.  A revised plan may be required.

Upon final approval of your plan, your land-disturbing permit will be issued.

If you have any questions that have not been answered with the information above please visit the links below:

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer