The Commonwealth of Virginia has a new requirement requiring all localities to adopt Stormwater Management regulations. The Accomack Ordinance was approved by the Board of Supervisors on May 21, 2014. Below are links to the Virginia requirements:
- Virginia Stormwater Management Program
- Virginia Stormwater Management Ordinance
- Virginia Stormwater BMP Clearinghouse
Low Impact Development Strategies in development plans for Erosion and Sediment Control are important sustainability concepts in protecting surface waters. These can be done primarily through implementing aspects of Low Impact Development (LID).
LID mimics nature and treats stormwater as a resource, rather than simply something to be conveyed offsite and into surface waters. LID controls stormwater at the source and keeps much of it on site for use or groundwater infiltration. Additional information on LID and sustainability can be found at the following locations.
- Blue and Green Infrastructure in Accomack County
- Sustainable Stormwater Management
- Better Site Design Publications from the Center for Watershed Protection (requires free registration to download documents)