In accordance with an ordinance passed by the Accomack County Board of Supervisors on September 20, 2017, there is a new process for obtaining fireworks display permits in the county. Any individual or organization wishing to display fireworks within Accomack County must obtain a permit from the Department of Public Safety. The only exception to this would be a display on private property, with the owner’s permission, of only those items on the list of permissible fireworks, published by the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office. You can find the list by visiting the State Fire Marshal’s Office website, found at www.vafire.com. Any other fireworks stored and displayed in the county must be by permit. There is currently no cost associated with obtaining a fireworks display permit.
To obtain a permit, please follow these steps:
- Contact the Accomack County Department of Public Safety at 757-789-3610, or email email@example.com.
- Complete the application for a fireworks permit form. You will need to provide the following information:
- Proof of liability insurance coverage of at least $1,000,000
- A copy of the site plan stating distances from the launch area to buildings/structures, highways, and viewing areas.
- Copy of the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Pyrotechnician Certificate and copy of the ATF certificate for the shooter.
- List of amounts and sizes of pyrotechnics that will be launched (shot list).
- The permit application will include further fire code regulations in regard to fireworks display—please read them carefully.
- Once the permit application is turned in with the accompanying documents, the fire official will make a site visit to the proposed launch area, as required by the fire code.
- A permit will be issued after these steps are followed and the applicable requirements of the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code are met.