In 2012 changes were made to Virginia's voter identification laws. Virginia voters are reminded that state law requires all voters to provide an acceptable form of identification (ID) at the polls. Voters arriving to the polls without ID will be required to vote a provisional ballot and will have until noon on the Friday after the election to deliver a copy of identification to their locality's electoral board in order for their provisional ballot to be counted. Please see below in "Provisional Ballot Process for Voters Who Arrive Without Identification" for more information on how the provisional ballot process will work for those arriving to the polls without ID.
Virginia's ID requirements also apply to absentee voters who vote in-person. Please reference https://www.elections.virginia.gov/"Special Federal ID Requirements for Certain First Time Voters” on the site.
Acceptable forms of identification include the following:
- Valid Virginia Driver's License
- DMV issued Photo ID
- Military Photo ID
- Any Federal, Virginia state or local government-issued Photo ID
- Employer issued photo ID card
- Valid student Photo ID issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia
To be eligible to vote in Virginia a person must meet all of the following criteria:
- be a resident of Virginia (A person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes);
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old (A person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years old on or before the next general election are permitted to register in advance and vote in any intervening primary or special election connected to the next general election);
- does not claim the right to vote in any other state;
- not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law and;
- if convicted of a felony, has had his/her right to vote restored.
|ELECTION TYPES||REGISTRATION DEADLINES|
|General||22 Days before election|
|Primary||22 Days before election|
|Special||13 Days before election|
|Special (Called by the Governor)||7 Days before election|