Acceptable forms of identification include the following:
- Valid Virginia Driver's License
- DMV issued Photo ID
- Military Photo ID
- Any Federal, Virginia state or local government-issued Photo ID
- Employer issued photo ID card
- Valid student Photo ID issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia
To be eligible to vote in Virginia a person must meet all of the following criteria:
- be a resident of Virginia (A person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes);
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old (A person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years old on or before the next general election are permitted to register in advance and vote in any intervening primary or special election connected to the next general election);
- does not claim the right to vote in any other state;
- not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law and;
- if convicted of a felony, has had his/her right to vote restored.
|ELECTION TYPES||REGISTRATION DEADLINES|
|General||22 Days before election|
|Primary||22 Days before election|
|Special||13 Days before election|
|Special (Called by the Governor)||7 Days before election|
What is on my ballot?
To find out more information about which offices are up for election or a question that may appear on the ballot, please check the Sample Ballots below. In the case of a Dual Primary you must choose which ballot you wish to vote. A Dual Primary is two separate Elections run at the same time, you may vote only one ballot.
- To see what is on your ballot click here.