MINUTES OF THE ACCOMACK COUNTY ELECTORAL BOARD
November 6, 2019 Minutes, Accomack County Electoral Board
The Board met at 12:00 noon to begin the canvass of the November 5, 2019 election.
Present were Chair, Dr. Roger Omwake, Vice-Chair Ms. Marcia Fields, Secretary Ms. Nancy Drury Duncan and General Registrar Patricia White.
No members of the public were present.
- A motion was made by Dr. Omwake to waive the reading of the minutes of the last meeting. His motion was seconded by Ms. Duncan. Motion carried unanimously.
- The board went into closed session to review the provisional ballots.
- The first order of business was to take up the five provisional ballots by persons who had no picture ID. Those persons have until noon on Friday to present a picture ID and were withheld until that time. One ballot was filed by a person who was not registered in Accomack County.
- After completing canvassing all precincts and before canvassing the absentee ballots, discussion ensued about board members signing the abstracts. Vice-chair Marcia Fields expressed her unease with signing the abstracts as the Republican Party presented legal documents the day before the election asking for a court order to prevent the board from counting the more than 900 absentee ballots received.
- The Commonwealth’s Attorney who was asked to investigate the allegations asked the Virginia State Police to conduct an investigation into the accusations that some A.B.’s had been improperly and/or illegally filled out. He did not wish to conduct the investigation himself as he was on the ballot in this election. Ms. White argued that because no injunction was filed, the board had the obligation to count those ballots. Ms. Fields disagreed. County Attorney Cela Burge was called to the meeting. She explained she had been in constant touch with the circuit court judge and that there was no injunction to stop the count.
- She told the board that it was their duty to canvass the absentee ballots along with the others. The meeting was adjourned at 4:25P.M. To be continued on Friday November 8.
November 8, 2019 adjourned meeting of the Accomack County Electoral Board began at 1:30. Present were Chairman Omwake, Secretary Nancy Drury Duncan and General Registrar Patricia White. Vice Chair Fields was not in attendance. Instead, she sent a letter explaining why she refused to sign the Abstracts of the election Two provisional ballots were counted because the voters came to the office with ID by noon that day.
The remaining two board members signed the abstracts. The meeting concluded at 4:15 P.M.
Please see the attached letter from Ms. Marcia Fields, Accomack County Electoral Board Vice Chair.
Submitted by Nancy D. Duncan
Secretary Accomack County Electoral Board