There are 17 voting precincts in Accomack County. A precinct is staffed with at the least three Election Officials and as many as eight depending on the election and size of the precinct. We are always looking for civic minded individuals who will serve on Election Day. Here is a little information:An Election Official is appointed by the Electoral Board of the county for a term of one year.
- Required to work from 5:00am to at least 8:00pm or whenever the work at the polls is finished;
- Legally responsible for the conduct of the election, including checking names and ID’s, operating voting machines and recording results, etc.;
- Required to attend a training class prior to the election;
- Required to subscribe to the Constitutional Oath prior to Election Day;
- Required to subscribe to the Election Officer Oath, which will be administered by the Chief Officer of Election before the polls open;
- Paid for his/her services for working on Election Day.