The purpose of the County’s Fraud, Waste and Abuse HOTLINE and website reporting option are to assist the County in preventing and detecting incidents of fraud, waste and abuse within its operations. Tips and complaints are the most common way fraud is detected in an organization so it is in the County’s best interest to make reporting as easy as possible.
Reporting is open to anyone including employees of Accomack County. Reports may be submitted anonymously and retaliation of any sort will not be tolerated by the County.
To assist you in determining what constitutes fraud, waste and abuse, the Code of Virginia §15.2-2511.2 sets forth the following definitions:
- Fraud means the intentional deception perpetrated by an individual or individuals, or an organization or organizations, either internal or external to local government that could result in a tangible or intangible benefit to themselves, others, or the locality or could cause detriment to others or the locality. Fraud includes a false representation of a matter of fact, whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading statements, or by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive.
- Waste means the intentional or unintentional, thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use, or squandering of resources owned or operated by the locality to the detriment or potential detriment of the locality. Waste also includes incurring unnecessary costs because of inefficient or ineffective practices, systems, or controls.
- Abuse means the excessive or improper use of something, or the employment of something in a manner contrary to the natural or legal rules for its use; the intentional destruction, diversion, manipulation, misapplication, maltreatment, or misuse of resources owned or operated by the locality; or extravagant or excessive use so as to abuse one's position or authority.
If you have information regarding suspected fraud, waste or abuse that pertains to the operation of Accomack County government, we encourage you to report it using one of the methods below.
- By Telephone: Dial 757-789-3139 to access the County Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline.You will be requested to leave a voice mail with sufficient details to allow the matter to be investigated. You may leave contact information if you wish but you are not required to do so. If you wish to remain anonymous, please be sure to leave as much information about the incident as possible. A description of the act, the date and time it occurred, information to help identify those involved and how you became aware of the matter are all important details that will assist us in our investigation.
- By Mail: Prepare a written description of the incident you wish to report and mail it to Accomack County Finance Director, P.O. Box 620, Accomac, VA, 23301. Be as descriptive as possible.
- Using the County Website: You can submit information pertaining to fraud, waste and abuse in Accomack County Government using this website by clicking on the “SUBMIT A REPORT” button below. You will be prompted to answer a series of questions.Your answers will assist us in our investigation of the matter so please be as thorough as possible. Information collected from this form will automatically be emailed to the Director of Finance once the form is submitted.